Sample of All FAQs (Helpie FAQ)


  • Can a Record Suspension be revoked or cease to have effect?

    Yes, the Parole Board of Canada may revoke a Record Suspension if:

    • the person is later convicted of an offence under a federal act or re.gulation of Canada.
    • the Parole Board finds that the person is no longer of good conduct
    • the Parole Board learns that a person lied, made a false or deceptive statement, or concealed relevant information at the time of the application.
    • the Parole Board is convinced by new information that the person was not eligible for a Record Suspension at the time it was granted.
  • Who cannot apply for a Record Suspension?

    You cannot apply for a Record Suspension if you have been convicted of a sexual offence involving a child (and you do not meet the criteria outlined in the next question), or four or more indictable offences that each came with a prison term of two years or more.

  • Do I need a lawyer or representative to apply for a Record Suspension?

    No. You can do it without one. Having a lawyer or representative does not speed up the process or guarantee you will get a Record Suspension.

  • Can a Record Suspension be denied?

    Yes, but you may reapply after one year.

  • How much will it cost to obtain a Record Suspension?

    The average cost is approximately $245, but can vary depending on location, and other variants. Costs include:

    • any and all fines, surcharges, restitutions, and compensation orders.
    • application fee. $50
    • fingerprinting. $45
    • criminal record check and local police record check $50
    • court documents. $100postage and shipping costs
  • Who can apply for a Record Suspension?

    You can apply for a Record Suspension if you were convicted of an offence in Canada under a federal act or regulation of Canada as an adult, or in another country and were transferred to Canada under the Transfer of Offenders Act or International Transfer of Offenders Act.

  • Simple FAQ

    Simple FAQ Content

  • Simple FAQ - 2

    Simple FAQ Content – 2

  • What is a Record Suspension

    A Record Suspension (formerly called a pardon) does not erase the fact that you were convicted of a crime, it only stops that information from being shared. This helps people with criminal records access employment and educational opportunities. All information about the conviction will be taken out of the Canadian Police Information Center (CPIC) and cannot be released without approval from the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness of Canada.

    A Record Suspension has no effect on prohibitions such as restraining orders, firearm restrictions, and driving restrictions. Most provincial and municipal criminal justice agencies also limit access to their records once they are told that a Record Suspension has been ordered.